“Singapore is so boring.”
“Yeah I do know Westlife is coming, however methods to afford the tickets?”
“All the great things’s out of my funds vary, I quit!”
Such are the woes of the frugal Singaporean who’s exhausted all inexpensive leisure choices and may’t (or does not need) to afford extra dear experiences.
Earlier than you quit and go house to renew binge watching Netflix, hear us out: Not all actions include hefty value tags. Some do not include any value tags in any respect!
Here is your information to free issues to do in Singapore this weekend (Jan 21-22) as much as the weekend after (Jan 28-29). From the humanities to sports activities, there’s one thing for everybody.
Usher within the Lunar New Yr in model
Remorse lacking the countdown occasion at Marina Bay on New Yr’s Eve? Here is your likelihood to depend all the way down to Chinese language New Yr in Chinatown.
Chinatown Lunar New Yr Countdown
An evening of thrilling dwell performances to get you within the festive temper and depend all the way down to the New Yr.
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 21, 10.30pm
- Venue: Kreta Ayer Sq.
Massive countdown events not your jam? The Chinatown Pageant 2023’s received you coated, with the whole lot from meals gala’s to avenue light-ups.
Brilliant bunnies, ingots, and different CNY-themed lanterns carry the streets of Chinatown to life, creating the right CNY environment.
- Date and time: Now until Feb 19, 7pm-12am
- Venues: New Bridge Highway / Eu Tong Sen / South Bridge Highway / Higher Cross Avenue
Festive Truthful and Meals Truthful
A CNY market filled with stalls promoting the whole lot from lap cheong and love letters to vibrant crimson festive decorations on your house.
- Date and time: Now until Jan 21, 6pm-10pm
- Venues: Sago Avenue /Smith Avenue / Pagoda Avenue / Trengganu Avenue / Temple Avenue
Commerce Truthful @ Folks’s Park
A festive truthful the place you will discover something from pineapple lanterns to cheongsam and changshan.
- Date and time: Now until Jan 21, 10am-10pm
- Venue: Open area in entrance of OG Folks’s Park Complicated, 100 Higher Cross Avenue
For a extra scenic CNY expertise, rejoice CNY by the bay with River Hongbao 2023.
River Hongbao 2023
One in every of Singapore’s hottest CNY festivals, it has been held yearly since 1987 and is stuffed with performances, meals and enjoyable.
- Date and time: Jan 20 to twenty-eight. See opening hours.
- Gentle and laser exhibits on Jan 21 to twenty-eight
- Venue: Gardens by the Bay
This 12 months’s River Hongbao gives a hybrid on-site or at-home expertise.
On website, soak in dazzling lantern shows and dwell stage performances, from getai to your favorite Mediacorp artistes. Foodies will not need to miss the meals avenue, and you will get to get pleasure from loads of household enjoyable on the amusement rides.
Wish to rejoice CNY from house? Catch their dwell exhibits for cultural performances and feng shui recommendation, and recreation exhibits.
Plus, remember to obtain these cute bunny-themed Telegram/WhatsApp stickers to want your loved ones and buddies joyful CNY!
Dive deep into Chinese language tradition
The CNY interval is an particularly busy time of 12 months for the Singapore Chinese language Cultural Centre (SCCC). This 12 months, they’ve organised a bunch of occasions each on-line and on-site so that you can study Chinese language culture-especially CNY traditions.
TGIF Music Station: SCCC x YES 933 (Jan 20) CNY 2023 Celebration
An evening of dwell musical performances celebrating CNY. That includes the Ah Boys To Males duo, Ah Ladies Go Military forged, native expertise Leon Ho and Taiwanese artiste Hao Hao.
- Date and time: Friday, Jan 20, 8pm-9pm
- Venue: SCCC Ho Bee Concourse, Degree 1 / Livestream: Fb and TikTok
Spring Reception 2023
An all-inclusive CNY celebration with political leaders, representatives from the native Chinese language arts and cultural scene, and members of various ethnic teams.
- Date and time: Monday, Jan 24, 11.15am to 1.30pm
- Venue: Fb livestream
What Makes a Chinese language New Yr, Singaporean?
An exhibition exploring the assorted “elements” that go right into a Singaporean Chinese language New Yr.
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28 to Feb 27, 11am-9pm
- Venue: Library@Chinatown
A rabbit(兔 tù)-themed artwork exhibition to welcome the Yr of the Rabbit, that includes regionally created mixed-media paintings with characters from Chinese language New Yr mythology.
- Date and time: Now until March 31, 10am-10pm
- Gentle exhibits: Jan 28/Feb 25/March 25, 7.30pm to eight.30pm
- Venue: SCCC Roof Backyard
Delight within the Gentle to Night time Pageant
What does it imply to be within the current? And what higher method to ponder this than with beautiful mild projections at nighttime of evening?
Make a while this weekend or the approaching weekdays to go take a look at the annual Gentle to Night time Pageant. This 12 months, the pageant’s theme is “Right here and Now”.
By exhibitions, artwork installations, mild projections and extra, the pageant’s artists invite you to mirror in your atmosphere and your time within the present-your “right here and now”.
Gentle to Night time Pageant 2023: Right here and Now
- Date and time: Now until Jan 26
- Venue: Numerous round metropolis space, together with Funan, Asian Civilisations Museum, The Arts Home, Esplanade
Give your eyes and ears a deal with
Begin the 12 months on an excellent be aware with these free music programmes and movie screenings.
All Issues New
A sequence of free dwell programmes on the Esplanade that includes artists embarking on model new chapters of their musical journeys, together with Tim De Cotta, Sulaiman Azim, Daniel Sid, and Umar Sirhan.
- Date and time: Now until Jan 26
- Venue: Esplanade Concourse/Esplanade Out of doors Theatre
Holding House Live performance 2023
A group live performance celebrating psychological well being advocacy.
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28, 5.30pm-8pm
- Venue: The Republic Cultural Centre (TRCC) (Theatre), Republic Polytechnic
Holding House [Arts] Pageant 2023: Faeryville Movie Screening & Dialogue
A screening of Singapore coming-of-age dystopian movie Faeryville (2015), adopted by a dialogue on youth-related social points led by psychotherapist Esther Ng and writer-director Tzang Merwyn Tong.
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28, 2.30pm-5pm
- Venue: The Republic Cultural Centre (TRCC) (Black Field), Republic Polytechnic
Get match free of charge
No excuses now. Our subsequent few occasions are providing you with the area, tools and training. All you need to do is make time and present up!
As a part of the Holding House [Sport] Pageant 2023, you may attempt your hand at tag rugby, e-sports, and extra this January.
Tag Rugby Workshop
A tag rugby workshop on the fundamentals of this minimal contact sport, led by the Singapore Rugby Union (SRU).
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28, 2pm-5pm
- Venue: Republic Polytechnic (Agora Corridor 3-4)
E-Sports activities Fiesta
A day of self-proclaimed digital mayhem, with digital biking, VR and AR gaming and extra. In collaboration with the Singapore Cybersports and On-line Gaming Affiliation (SCOGA).
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28, 2pm-5pm
- Venue: Republic Polytechnic (Agora Corridor 1-2)
Well being and Health Truthful
Enjoyable and informative well being and health occasions that’ll train you the whole lot from evidence-based train regimes to consuming proper on your physique. Performed by Anytime Health.
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28, 2pm-5pm
- Venue: Republic Polytechnic (North Agora)
Children & Youth Mile Run Problem
A mile run problem to check your health towards rivals from all athletic backgrounds, plus operating recommendations on methods to get there. Performed by Membership Zoom.
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28, 3.45pm-5.30pm
- Venue: Republic Polytechnic (South Agora)
Study Singapore Signal Language
Do you know that signal language just isn’t common?
Signal languages (plural!) are particular to totally different nations and cultures, and in Singapore we have now our very personal. Get a style of Singapore Signal Language with a free workshop led by the Singapore Affiliation for the Deaf (SADeaf) this month.
Study Singapore Signal Language with SADeaf | Teenagers Takeover | re:write
- Date and time: Friday, Jan 27, 3pm-4pm
- Venue: Jurong Regional Library -Degree 1 Programme Zone
Meet animals – some cute, some wild
Fingers up if you happen to choose animals to individuals! Nice information, January’s received various animal and wildlife occasions for you.
How do you make a Saturday even higher? Flip it right into a Caturday!
Caturday by Cat Welfare Society
A pet truthful all about cats, with an adoption drive and merchandise cubicles by purrballs, The Pet’s Couture, and CWS’ personal Cat Mama Store.
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28, 11am-6pm
- Venue: Our Tampines Hub, Central Plaza
If cute and cuddly animals aren’t your factor, take a stroll on the wild facet:
Acres Chinese language New Yr Fundraiser Open Home
Tour Acres Wildlife Rescue Centre and meet a few of their rescued wild animal residents. Plus, participate of their wildlife quiz to win prizes!
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28, 11.30am-4pm (Guided excursions occur each half-hour for max 10 individuals)
- Venue: Acres Wildlife Rescue Centre (AWRC), 91 Jalan Lekar
And if you happen to’re pondering of taking the little ones to Acres’ Open Home, you may contemplate taking them to this wildlife conservation workshop too!
Connecting With Nature | Wildlife Conservation & Us!
A enjoyable and informative workshop best for 4 to 6 years olds to be taught extra about wildlife conservation and the way we will help. By the Nationwide Library Board.
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28, 10.30am-11.30am
- Venue: Jurong Regional Library – Degree 1 Programme Zone
Get a (literal) walk-through of Singapore’s heritage
One of the best ways to be taught concerning the previous is to expertise it. Say what now?
Take a stroll by way of Singapore’s historical past with these heritage trails, excursions, and talks.
Singapore Maritime Path 3
How is our present-day id formed by the maritime actions of the previous? Go to two cultural precincts to rediscover our cultural and architectural hyperlinks to the seas.
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 21, 9am-11am
- Assembly level: Telok Ayer MRT Station, Exit B (Avenue Degree)
Fort Siloso Day Tour 2023
Discover Fort Siloso and study its wealth of WWII memorabilia. You will additionally get to journey by way of the Give up Chambers, reliving the Japanese invasion and the British Give up on the finish of WWII.
- Date and Time: Saturday, Jan 21, 3pm-4.30pm
- Venue: Fort Siloso Skywalk Foyer, Sentosa
Craft, Know-how & Innovation: Bridging Conventional and Modern
A chat on how conventional craft practices can encourage modern design. Hear from one of many final conventional Chinese language lantern makers in Singapore and a rangoli artist with over 55 years of craft expertise.
- Date and time: Thursday, Jan 26, 5pm-6.30pm
- Venue: Nationwide Design Centre
Do one thing significant on your neighbourhood
Think about if 10 individuals began choosing up litter they noticed. How about 100 individuals? 1,000,000? A litter-free neighbourhood is as straightforward as that to realize.
And that is precisely what BlockWalk goals to do.
To make a distinction to your neighbourhood this month, signal as much as be a part of fellow volunteers and decide up litter in your residential space or close by park. You can even seize your folks, household and neighbours to make a much bigger collective impression!
BlockWalk by Habitat for Humanity Singapore
- Date and time: Saturday, Jan 28, 7.30am-9.30am
- Venue: Your personal neighbourhood
ALSO READ: These indoor playgrounds are excellent on your children in the course of the wet season
This text was first printed in MoneySmart.